New Year’s Eve is full of parties, food, and celebrating new beginnings. While this time of year may be fun for us, loud noises, big gatherings and fireworks can be very stressful and dangerous for our pets. With a little planning, you can make sure the New Year celebrations are safe for your furry friends.
New Year’s Eve goes hand in hand with eventful, celebratory fireworks. While fireworks can be fun and exciting for us, they can pose a lot of stress and anxiety to our four-legged friends. Some dogs hide, have accidents in the house, shake with fear, or bark nonstop. Though you most likely can’t stop the fireworks from happening, you can set up a safe space for your furry friend. Fill the space with your pet’s favorite bed, toys, food, water and other familiar items.
Make sure your pup gets plenty of exercise before the festivities and fireworks get started. Getting most of their energy out beforehand can encourage them to relax so they're not ready to take off when the fireworks start.
Identification Is Very Important
Oftentimes, due to the stress and anxiety resulting from loud fireworks, many dogs and cats will run away on New Year’s Eve. Even if a pet is inside, the startling sounds of fireworks and noisemakers can cause them to enter into panic mode, escaping the house by any means necessary. Make sure your pet’s identification tags and microchips are up-to-date in the event they do get away.
Keep Your Pet On Their Normal Diet
Avoid giving your dog too many scraps from the New Year’s Eve party. Any change in diet, even just for one meal, can give your pet diarrhea and indigestion. This especially rings true with older dogs who have more sensitive digestive systems. Also, keep in mind that certain foods such as onions, avocados, grapes, chocolate, and raisins can be toxic to your furry friend. Try to feed your pet before the New Year’s Eve festivities begin.
In addition to grapes being dangerous to dogs, many grape-containing products, like wine and champagne are also extremely dangerous and toxic to your pet. These drinks and other alcoholic drinks can cause dogs to have serious kidney failure, damage to their nervous system and liver.
If you think your pet ate or drank something they shouldn’t have, don’t hesitate to reach out to an emergency veterinarian as soon as possible!
With some planning and preparation, you can ensure that this year's celebrations are safe and enjoyable for everyone.
Share this article